Pages

Football: Resurgent Valencia inflict ninth La Liga defeat on Real Madrid

Football: Resurgent Valencia inflict ninth La Liga defeat on Real Madrid

VALENCIA (REUTERS) - Real Madrid's harrowing campaign continued as they fell to a ninth defeat in La Liga and their first since coach Zinedine Zidane returned as they were deservedly beaten 2-1 away by a resurgent Valencia on Wednesday (April 3).
Portugal international Goncalo Guedes fired Valencia into the lead in the 35th minute with a thumping shot from inside the area which was too powerful for Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas.
Madrid had played well until conceding, but lost momentum after the goal and Valencia continued to threaten into the second half, finally doubling their lead with a header by defender Ezequiel Garay from a corner in the 83rd.
Karim Benzema headed in a consolation goal for Madrid in stoppage time, shortly after Zidane's side had a penalty decision overturned after a Video Assistant Referee (VAR) review ruled Sergio Ramos was offside.
Madrid are stuck in third on 57 points, 13 behind La Liga leaders Barcelona and five behind city rivals Atletico Madrid.
Valencia, who have reached the Copa del Rey final and the quarter-finals of the Europa League, have Champions League qualification in their sights after climbing up to fifth in the table on 46 points, one behind fourth-placed Getafe.
The win extended their unbeaten run to 17 games in all competitions, their longest stretch without defeat in their 100-year history.
"We know that this has been a difficult year and we are working hard to make sure we come back stronger next season and I'm sure we will," Madrid midfielder Casemiro told reporters.
"We were in control for the first half then they scored and got more confident. We worked hard in the second half and tried to get back in the game but goals are what count. This defeat is difficult for us, we know we are not doing well but we must keep working."
It was Zidane's first away game since returning to the club after Santiago Solari was sacked last month, having won his first two games back against Celta Vigo and Huesca.
As he had promised ahead of the match, the Frenchman made sweeping changes from the team that had beaten Huesca, bringing back seven players including Toni Kroos, Luka Modric and Navas as Isco and Gareth Bale dropped to the bench.
Madrid dominated the early stages but could not turn their possession to chances and once Valencia took the lead through Guedes they rarely looked like letting it slip.
Marcelino's side missed a gilt-edged chance to seal victory when Kevin Gameiro attempted a backheel pass towards Carlos Soler when it would have been easier to shoot at goal.
But Argentine Garay made up for his team mate's wastefulness by effectively sealing the points with a towering header from captain Dani Parejo's corner.


May 08, 2019 · Sharks captain Joe Pavelski opens scoring in Game 7 win in emotional return from injury. Joe Pavelski, playing his first game in two weeks, opened the scoring for the San Jose Sharks in their Game
Yankees avoid sweep in Cleveland despite brutal bullpen, win


"Man United, Inter, Juventus and Tottenham are clubs with strong support in the region, and we believe the fans will be happy to see them in action." AIA Group Chief Executive and President, Ng Keng Hooi, added: "AIA is proud to be the Presenting Partner of the 2019 ICC Singapore, especially during our Centennial year.


Watford squeeze past QPR into FA Cup last eight Premier League's Watford were made to sweat to beat lowly Championship club Queens Park Rangers 1-0 on Friday and book their spot in the FA Cup quarter-finals for the second time in four seasons.
Football: Watford squeeze past QPR into FA Cup last eight

Vow of 'continued success' - theworldnews.net


Rescuers said on Thursday they had ended the search for the plane carrying Premier League player Emiliano Sala which disappeared over the English Channel three days ago, adding the chances of
UK rescuers end search for missing plane carrying soccer


Mohamed Salah completed a memorable day for Egyptian football by retaining his African Player of the Year award in Senegal Tuesday. The 26-year-old Liverpool star finished first with club-mate
Salah retains African Player of the Year award- Samaa Digital


Liverpool's players pose before the UEFA Champions League Group C football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Liverpool FC at the Parc des Princes stadium, in Paris, on November 28, 2018. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP) Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp denied on Friday that his Premier League leaders will have the upper hand over […]
Premier League: Jurgen Klopp denies Liverpool's lighter


Pray for no rain: Man City to return to China after Beijing debacle AFP March 26, 2019, 6:44 AM UTC Manchester City's 2016 game against Manchester United was called off due to an unplayable
Pray for no rain: Man City to return to China after Beijing

All eyes on France star in key clash, Football News & Top

Former Manchester United Great Paul Scholes Appointed Manager

Refreshed Croatia win with attack-focused play


Spalletti leaves Inter Milan with Conte set to take over Milan (UNITED STATES Sporting Activity)- Luciano Spalletti has actually left Inter Milan, the Serie A club introduced on Thursday, with previous Italy supervisor Antonio Conte readied to be introduced as the club's brand-new trainer..
Inter news: 'Antonio Conte can give more than Jose Mourinho


Chelsea put their tumultuous League Cup final defeat behind them to revive their top-four hopes with a 2-0 victory over stuttering Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday. Under-pressure manager Maurizio Sarri made the bold decision to drop goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga in favour of Willy Caballero after the Spaniard's antics against
Arrizabalaga dropped as Chelsea beat Tottenham 2-0 | Reuters.com

Football: Son contemplated Tottenham exit until discussion


ROME - Napoli could finish the weekend trailing Serie A leaders Juventus by 11 points after Carlo Ancelotti's wasteful side stuttered to a 0-0 draw at Fiorentina on Saturday, as Lautaro Martinez
Napoli Stumble at Fiorentina, Martinez Gets Inter Back

0 comments:

Post a Comment