
SINGAPORE - Footballer Ben Davis has defaulted on his national service commitments, the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) said in a statement on Monday (Feb 18).
In response to queries from The Straits Times, Mindef said: "Mr Benjamin Davis is a NS defaulter. He failed to report for NS as required. He is also staying overseas without a valid exit permit.
"Mr Davis has committed offences under the Enlistment Act, and is liable upon conviction to a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 years."
ST understands that Davis was required to enlist on Feb 14.
The Phuket-born 18-year-old had signed professional terms with English Premier League club Fulham in July last year, the first Singaporean footballer to do so with a top-tier English club.
A former student at the Singapore Sports School, he left the Republic in 2015 to move to London to join Fulham's academy, where he is registered as an English national.
However, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS), which had supported Davis’ application for deferment, expressed its dismay at the news and issued a strongly worded admonition of the player, whom it capped at the Under-19 level. Davis was also called up to the senior national team last year but was not fielded.
A spokesman said: “The FAS is extremely disappointed with Mr Benjamin Davis’ default of his NS obligations. It is thoroughly irresponsible on the part of Mr Davis, and also reneges on his (and his father’s) assurance to the FAS that Mr Davis would discharge his NS commitments and play for the Singapore national team.
Â
Â
Â
“Mr Davis had lived in Singapore for many years, and has benefited from the resources used to educate and train him as a footballer over this period of time. He was invited to play for the Singapore national team, and he agreed.
“The FAS had supported Benjamin Davis’ application to defer NS on this basis.
“While the matter will now be dealt with by Mindef, the FAS wishes to state categorically that we do not condone such conduct nor did it ever arise in our discussions with Mr Davis that he would seek to avoid his liability.â€
Davis was born in Thailand to an English father and Thai mother.
After he signed pro terms last year, Mindef confirmed that his application for NS deferment had been rejected as he did not “meet the criteria for long-term deferment from full-time NSâ€.
The decision sparked a debate among the sporting fraternity and the general public about issues such as maximising sporting talent and the need to maintain Singapore’s security.
A month later in Parliament, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen laid out the reasons for the rejection, highlighting that “there was no commitment to serve Singapore and our national interests†despite Harvey Davis’ contention that if Ben were to become the first Singaporean to play in the EPL, it would “make Singapore proudâ€.Â
Dr Ng reiterated that “deferment... cannot be for that individual, no matter how talented, to pursue his own interests or career, even if it vicariously brings credit or fame to Singaporeâ€.
He also noted that Harvey Davis had “consistently refused†to pin down a date when Ben would return to serve NS.Â
Mindef has also noted that there are programmes in place to help national athletes continue training while serving their NS.Â
“Many talented sportsmen, including footballers, have completed their NS dutifully first before pursuing their professional careers. Mindef has in place schemes during full-time NS to enable them to continue training to retain and improve their skills,†it said last July.
“We also provide additional training opportunities in the lead-up to major Games such as the South-east Asian and Olympic Games where our sportsmen represent Singapore and do us proud.â€
In the last 15 years, only three athletes – swimmers Joseph Schooling and Quah Zheng Wen, and sailor Maximillian Soh – have been granted deferment. Schooling and Quah have represented the Republic at various Olympics, with the former making history by winning a gold medal in the 100m butterfly at the 2016 Rio Games.
While Davis had a strong start in his first season with the Fulham U-18 team - he scored once in 10 games, making 13 tackles and 16 interceptions while racking up a pass accuracy of 90 per cent - ST understands he has found the going tougher in his sophomore season.
A source, who did not want to be named, said that Davis'Â performance was adversely affected after news emerged that his application for NS deferment had been rejected.
While he started 12 of Fulham U-18s’ first 14 matches of the season, he has played only 136 out of a possible 630 minutes in their last seven games. He also earned the call-up to the Under-21 team for four games, but was an unused substitute on each of those occasions.Â
Based on a sentencing framework introduced by the High Court in July 2017, there are four bands of sentencing based on the length of the period of default:
- For those who evade NS for two to six years, the starting point is two to four months' jail
- For seven to 10 years, the starting point is five to eight months' jail
- For 11 to 16 years, the starting point is 14 to 22 months' jail
- For 17 to 23 years or more, the starting point is two to three years' jail.Â
NS defaulters who are still under the age of 40 are still required to serve if they return.
A defaulter’s sentence may be discounted based on various factors, such as the length of period of default, how substantial his connection to Singapore is, whether he voluntarily surrendered or was arrested, and whether he pleaded guilty or claimed trial.
Correction note: This article has been updated to reflect the four-band sentencing based on the length of the period of NS default.
Football: London-born ex-Arsenal reserve Nico Yennaris makes China debut in 2-0 win over Philippines Nico Yennaris, also known as Li Ke in China, made his Chinese national debut in a 2-0 win over
London-born Yennaris makes China debut in Philippine win
Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba's form has been affected by playing with Alexis Sanchez and being used in different roles - but there are solutions. He can get away with not playing
Poor show but Emery backs Mustafi LONDON • Unai Emery bizarrely insisted Shkodran Mustafi "has been consistent all season" after his abject display against Crystal Palace ensured the top-four race remained wide open.
Unai Emery backs Arsenal's Mustafi ahead of Wolves
Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri confirmed on Friday Cristiano Ronaldo is an injury doubt for the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Ajax on April 10. Ronaldo, a five-time
Ronaldo 'risks missing' Champions League quarter-final first
Football: Hougang United lose two-goal lead twice to draw 3-3 with 10-man Tampines Rovers Published by: straitstimes.com | Found: 49 minutes ago Tags: Football, Tampines, Hougang, Rovers, United and 218 more Tweeted By: @stsportsdesk , @stcom Tweeted For: @@jpbutler_msm, @@ks75in
Tampines throw away two-goal advantage, Latest Singapore
Cristiano Ronaldo faces disciplinary hearing over goal
Cristiano Ronaldo headed a late equaliser to deny Torino their first win away to neighbours Juventus for 24 years as the two sides drew 1-1 in Serie A on Friday. Sasa Lukic stunned the recently
Late Ronaldo goal foils Torino - ewn.co.za
China enters the Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates with one win in seven games, including disappointing draws against Palestine, India and Bahrain. A runners-up in 1984 and 2004, China opens their campaign Monday against Kyrgyzstan, followed by matches against the Philippines and South Korea in Group C.
Qatar beat Japan, football world in shock over insane Asian
Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes Sport > Football > Racism > Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes By 24matins.uk with AFP, published 28 March 2019 at 15h53 BST , updated on 28 March 2019 at 15h54 BST .
Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes - World Soccer
worldsoccertalk.com/2019/03/28/kane-proud-of-england-response-to-race-jibes/
Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes AFP March 28, 2019 AFP No Comments London (AFP) - Harry Kane spoke Thursday of his pride at how his teammates dealt with being racially abused in Montenegro as he collected an award for "services to football" after leading England to the World Cup semi-finals.
Kane 'proud' of England response to race jibes | Sport24
Paine delighted with Aussie grit in second Test victory Australia's paceman Pat Cummins celebrates securing the final wicket after dismissing India's Jasprit Bumrah on Day 5 of the second Test
Paine delighted with Australia's hard-nosed style in Perth
Pele to have urinary tract surgery in Brazil: hospital By superliga On Apr 10, 2019 0 Sao Paulo (AFP) - Pele will have an operation to remove a 'ureteral stone,' his doctors said Wednesday, a day after the football great returned to Brazil following treatment in a Paris hospital for an infection.
Pele to have urinary tract surgery in Brazil: hospital
Train travel in Japan is really easy. Language is hardly ever a problem, stations have signs & departure boards in English as well as Japanese. You can see for yourself in the travel tips section below.
0 comments:
Post a Comment