Pages

Afghanistan FF staff promised women players spots on team in exchange for sex

Afghanistan FF staff promised women players spots on team in exchange for sex

KABUL • Representing Afghanistan internationally should have been the highlight of Khalida Popal's career as a professional footballer, but life in the strife-torn country is never that simple.
It has been seven years since she was forced to leave her family and her homeland, terrified for her life and personal safety, after pioneering women's football in a country that has been described as one of the most dangerous places to be female.
She has paid a high price for becoming the face of the Afghanistan women's football team, with death threats forcing her to spend a year in an asylum centre before being granted permission to live in Denmark in 2012.
But Popal remains a local girl at heart, and despite having since suffered a career-ending knee injury, she has continued to organise training sessions for the team in other countries including Jordan, Japan and the United Arab Emirates.
These camps have brought together players from inside and outside Afghanistan, and the bonds forged have compelled Popal to speak out about the ordeal of Afghan women players and her frustrations with a system that has failed to protect them.
Last Sunday, the country's attorney general suspended Keramuddin Keram, the head of the Afghan Football Federation (AFF), and four others after a probe into allegations of sexual abuse of members of the women's national football team.
According to the attorney general's office, they are:
• The AFF's deputy president, Yosuf Kargar
• Its general secretary, Sayed Alireza Aghazada
• A coach in charge of goalkeepers, Abdul Saboor Walizada
• An official in charge of liaison with provincial football teams, Nadir Alimi
While the investigation is still ongoing, Fifa has provisionally banned Keram from all football-related activities for 90 days "pending proceedings".
His name brings back harrowing memories for Popal. In a telephone interview with the New York Times, she claimed "the president of AFF and some trainers are raping and sexually harassing female players".
The 31-year-old also revealed to The Guardian the purported transgressions were as recent as February, when the players flew to Jordan from Afghanistan while being accompanied by two men.
"They (the AFF) sent two male representatives, going under the title of 'head of women's football' and 'assistant coach'," she said.
"They were bullying and harassing the girls, particularly the ones from Afghanistan because they knew they wouldn't speak up. I confronted them, told them they can't do that and I'd make a complaint.
"It continued. These guys were calling on the rooms of the players and sleeping with the girls. AFF staff members would say to girls that they could get them on the team list and would pay them £100 (S$173) a month if they would say yes to everything.
"They were pushing and forcing the girls. Coercing them."
When the players threatened to complain, Keram, who wields considerable political influence as a former governor of Panjshir Province, allegedly beat one of them with a snooker cue, and threw her and eight other women off the team, labelling them "lesbians".
After learning that the nine players had been sidelined, she went on to do her own investigation, only to find out the "huge extent of the abuse".
Popal added: "He (Keram) has a room inside his office that is a bedroom with a bed. The doors of his office (have) fingerprint recognition, so when players go in, they can't get out without his fingerprint.
"I found some of the girls were sexually abused, and physically abused if they said no. The federation would make an excuse to get rid of the player so that if they came out (and spoke publicly), it would look like they were just upset about being kicked off the team."
American Kelly Lindsey, the former national coach, corroborated Popal's account, saying the two male officials that were involved in the Jordan case had been "promoted and moved to other areas in the AFF".
The federation has, however, denied the allegations, calling them "groundless", while insisting it had "a zero-tolerance policy towards any type of such behaviour".
NYTIMES, REUTERS, THE GUARDIAN


Manchester United's Ole Gunnar Solskjaer enjoyed his fifth successive victory since being named interim manager as his much-changed side beat second-tier strugglers Reading 2-0 at home in the FA
Is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's start at Manchester United the best


LONDON: Jurgen Klopp has condemned "disgusting" racist abuse aimed at Mohamed Salah and called for lifetime bans for the Chelsea fans accused of taunting the Liverpool star. A video circulated
Liverpool's Klopp condemns 'disgusting' Salah abuse ahead of


Cardiff earn first away win with late Camarasa strike at Leicester Soccer Football - Premier League - Leicester City v Cardiff City - King Power Stadium, Leicester, Britain - December 29, 2018
Soccer: Cardiff earn first away win with late Camarasa strike


Forget 'the Man United way', let Ole Gunnar Solskjaer be himself. By A late comeback playing attacking football in the knockout stages of Europe's elite
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the importance of playing the


Sevilla keep pressure on Atletico with vital win over Celta. Sampaoli: Sevilla want the position we've been in almost the whole season Third victim in Reyes car accident is stable after
SBOBET | Atletico know how to win the big Football Games
blog.sotoikan.com/atletico-know-win-big-football-games/
Antoine Griezmann set up one goal and scored a pearl as Diego Simeone's team beat Sevilla 3-1. Even though the visitors began and ended the game in third place, betting websites pitched Atletico as odds-on favourites to win this match while betting tips increasingly whisper that they'll finish the season above Sevilla. Atletico Madrid 3-1
La Liga: Rubi's RCD Espanyol climb to second after flawless


Football: Italy upset Australia at Women's World Cup with Bonansea double; As Canarinhas thump Reggae Girlz. 11 hours ago. VALENCIENNES, France (REUTERS, THE GUARDIAN) - Barbara Bonansea scored twice to give Italy a surprise, last-gasp 2-1 victory against Australia in their opening Group C game at the women's football World Cup on Sunday (June
Australia fall to Italy in dramatic Women's World Cup clash


The FIFA/Coca World Ranking - Find out where your team are in the latest standings.
FIFA rankings - Belgium overtake France at No 1 Gibraltar on rise
tv5.espn.com/football/belgium/story/3678879/fifa-rankings-belgium-overtake-france-at-no-1-gibraltar-on-rise
Brazil, one of only two non-European sides in the top 10 along with Uruguay, remain third, followed by Croatia and England. Gibraltar, who only became FIFA members in 2016, rose eight places to their best ranking of 190th thanks to their Nations League wins in Armenia and at home Liechtenstein.
Every major nation's highest and lowest FIFA ranking since


Football For Friendship Portugal coach says Ronaldo can stay at the top for several years. Sport Portugal coach says Ronaldo can stay at the top for several years.
Cristiano Ronaldo can stay at the top for several years, says


Sport > Football > C1 > Liverpool > 'World record holder at winning semi-finals' - Klopp laughs off 'unlucky' tag By 24matins.uk with AFP, published 31 May 2019 at 17h23 BST . 2 minutes
'World record holder at winning semi-finals' - Klopp laughs


Dec 19, 2018 · Cooking can make people of all ages more open to trying new tastes, so enlist the whole gang in holiday dessert prep. Getty. Any of these treats from the corners of the globe should sweeten your
NFL Football Tours - Tickets - Travel Packages - Trips


Spain court acquits former Barcelona president of money laundering Rosell, his wife and four others, were accused of "large-scale money laundering" of close to 20 million euros ($23 million) since 2006, relating to television rights and sponsorship deals in Brazil.
Spain court acquits former FC Barcelona president of money

Treat women better, Salah urges Muslim world, Football News


Too many missed chances did in Cincinnati this time in a 5-3 loss to the Giants, and the Reds settled for a split of their traditional doubleheader Tuesday night in which they wore their home
Missed chances leave Reds feeling empty | MLB.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment